This unit standard is for a learner within the fabrication and welding fields.
A person credited with this unit standard is capable of:
• Describing the shielded metal arc welding process.
• Selecting, setting up and conducting pre-operational checks of shielded metal arc welding equipment.
• Preparing workpieces prior to welding.
• Welding workpieces.
• Inspecting welded work piece for defects in compliance with drawing specifications.
• Caring for and storing welding consumables and equipment.
This unit standard will contribute to the full development of any learner by providing recognition, further mobility and transportability within the field. The knowledge, skills and understanding demonstrated in this unit standard are essential for social and economic transformation and upliftment within the fabrication and welding environment.
SAQA ID: 243063
NQF Level: 2
Accrediting SETA: merSETA
Duration: 2 days
Recommended Entry Criteria:
It is assumed that the learners are already competent in:
- Communication and mathematical literacy at NQF level 1
- Prepare workpieces for welding
- Basic engineering practices unit standard
- Safety Health and Environmental (OHS Act)
- Worksite practices
Unit Standard Range
Material type to be selected from the range of carbon steels (plate only), applicable to the material groups 1, 2, 3 or 11 [according to ISO (TR) 15608).
Material thickness: Minimum – 1,6mm.
All work undertaken must comply with Occupational Health and Safety Act.
All work done must comply with worksite practices.
All work done under consistent supervision.
Level (for level 2)
A learning programme leading to the award of this unit standard should develop learners who demonstrate:
Ability to carry out moderate tasks that are familiar.
Ability to offer a clear choice of routine responses.
Basic operational knowledge base as indicated in the embedded knowledge component and that are readily available.
An understanding of known solutions to familiar problems with little generation of new ideas.
Ability to work under direct supervision with some responsibility.